ModernaHus is a radical new housing formula for the UK that will change the way affordable, high quality homes are delivered.
In the first project of its kind in the UK, the landmark scheme will deliver 108 one, two, three and four bedroom high quality apartments for affordable rent and shared ownership, which will provide accommodation for families, couples and single people on a site which was formerly occupied by meat wholesalers, a derelict bakery and a car park.
Big benefits for residents and the environment
The joint project will meet the Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4 and the flexibility of the design also allows for higher levels of the Code to be economically achieved, with minimal alterations to the overall concept.
The ModernaHus provides:
A well insulated building envelope combined with an under-floor heating system to help save tenants money on heating bills and combat climate change.
- Apartments that are 44 per cent more energy efficient than standard homes and will help to reduce carbon emissions throughout operation.
- Central biomass boiler feeding a site-wide district heating system.
- Extensive landscaped gardens for all residents.
- Allotments so residents will be able to grow their own food.
- Access to either a private terrace or spacious balcony.
- Efficient fittings that will mean less than 105 litres of water per person per day will be used (in typical homes this can be as high as 212 litres).
John Hughes, Development Director at Notting Hill Housing, says:
"We are delighted that Skanska has chosen to deliver this UK industry first with Notting Hill Housing.
"With inevitable cuts to the housing budget ahead, the UK building industry can learn a lot from this green, Swedish housing concept. It's eye catching, it's quick to construct and it's substantially cheaper to live in than the standard housing being built in the UK today."
Work is already under way
Demolition of existing buildings to make way for the new development has begun with main construction due to start this Spring and completion of the project scheduled for October 2011.
Media enquiries should be directed to Elizabeth Morello-Gower on
020 8357 5057, Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm.
Email any time to email@example.com.