Since 1995, we have worked with around 25 other housing associations to pool resources together and offer unemployed people the chance to become skilled tradespeople in the construction industry.
Who is eligible
The Construction Training Initiative is aimed at people who are unemployed, 18+ and studying towards a construction-related qualification at college or university.
What we offer
Our aim is to support our trainees through college to achieve a level 2/3 trade qualification, and provide sufficient work experience to increase their employment prospects. The Construction Training Initiative offers:
- The opportunity to earn as you train
- Travel fare subsidy
- Free professional tool kit
- Access to useful work placements with reputable contractors
- Free health and safety tests
- Matrix accredited professional advice, guidance and support.
Since its beginnings, more than 1,000 people have benefited from the Initiative, helping them to develop skills that will last them for a lifetime.
We are particularly active in encouraging diversity within the construction industry, and over 50 per cent of our trainees come from black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds.
Women are another under-represented group in the industry and we consistently surpass our target of having 10 per cent female participants in our trainee programme.
Where we work
Trainees have worked on sites in the following 12 London boroughs:
- Hammersmith & Fulham
- Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea
- Richmond upon Thames
- Waltham Forest.
Our trainees have access to work placements at our own building sites as well as those managed by our partner housing associations within these boroughs. Work placements vary in length, depending on the individual project.
Over the years we have won multiple awards in recognition of our work in promoting diversity and equality in the industry. Our awards include:
- Youth Build UK Young Builder of the Year 2009
- Youth Build UK Young Builder of the Year runner-up 2006, 2007, and 2008
- National Training Awards 2003 and 2005
- All Party Parliamentary Group Diversity Award 2005
- Education and Training Award 2000.
For more information on our Construction Training Initiative, please contact us on 020 8357 4678.