Moving home

There are a number of reasons why you may move home.

Many temporary housing tenants end their tenancy when their local council places them in permanent housing; some tenants move for personal reasons; others are asked to move so that the landlord can carry out major repairs.

Which circumstance applies to you?

I’ve been placed in permanent rented housing by my local council

We offer temporary homes for people who are waiting for permanent rented housing from their local council. When a permanent rented property becomes available through your local council, you’ll move out of our property.

You’ll need to let us know as soon as you’ve been made an offer of permanent housing. You should also let your housing benefit office know.

My property’s lease is ending

When a lease for one of our temporary housing properties ends, we’ll either renew it (if given the option by the owner) or we’ll hand the property back to the private landlord.

If we renew the lease, you’ll be able to remain in your home on the new lease. Otherwise, the local authority that referred you to us will decide what alternative housing arrangements to make for you. The final decision about your housing situation lies with them. If possible, we will help you by moving you to another one of our temporary homes.

I’d like to end my tenancy

If you plan to move out of your temporary home, you should give us four weeks' notice in writing.

We ask you to leave your home in a good state of decoration and repair and take all your belongings with you.

You must:

  • put right any repairs that are your responsibility (for example, changing light bulbs)
  • make sure the decoration is in good condition so that the next tenant can move in without having to decorate
  • make sure you take all your belongings with you and clear any rubbish
  • clean the home, especially kitchen units, fridges, cookers, windows, baths and sinks
  • leave behind all fixtures and fittings that belong to the owner
  • empty fridges and freezers of food.

We may inspect your home before you leave and charge you for any cleaning and repairs you have not done.

You need to contact your housing officer to arrange handing back your keys.

Please get in touch with us as soon as you know that you are moving. You should also let your housing benefit office know.