Tips for moving
Follow our tips to make your move a success.
- Decide the date of your move (usually the completion date) as soon as contracts have been exchanged. Try to avoid Fridays and bank holidays when removal firms are in high demand.
- If you are not using professional removers, ask friends to help.
- Go to the post office and arrange for your post to be sent on to your new address (they will charge you a fee for this service if you decide to use it).
- Let your bank know about any changes to direct debits and standing orders.
- Let the relevant gas, electricity, water and phone companies know you are moving.
- If you are renting privately, let your landlord know when you have a definite date for completion.
- If you are a council or housing association tenant, you will need to let your social landlord know when you will be leaving your tenancy.
- Start getting rid of things you no longer need. Decide which items you can take to a charity shop, sell at a car boot sale, or offer to your friends.
For more information about moving home or buying one of our homes contact us on 020 8357 4444 or firstname.lastname@example.org.